23.2.05

Blogging Pro.


"I recently quit my web design gig and -- as of today -- will be working on kottke.org as my full-time job. And I need your help.

I'm asking the regular readers of kottke.org (that's you!) to become micropatrons of kottke.org by contributing a moderate sum of money to help enable me to edit/write/design/code the site for one year on a full-time basis. If you find kottke.org valuable in any way, please consider giving whatever you feel is appropriate
."

So Jason Kottke's gone professional blogger. Not shutting down his site and making it pay-for only, but: "think of kottke.org as non-crippled, fully-supported shareware...you only pay if you feel it's worth supporting." I think this is pretty cool, he obviously has the site stats and heaving inbox of fans to support this idea, and from the sounds of the update he's made recently, he's got more than enough people willing to donate money. More than anything, I find how he's cut back on resources the most interesting:

"I've moved to a (way) cheaper apartment in Brooklyn, cut way back on eating out (I'm learning how to cook properly instead...hey, if I can learn to cook, you can pony up a couple of bucks), will be using my cache of frequent flier miles when I need to travel, and am curtailing my spending in general. It feels a lot like right after I got out of college...without the ramen noodles."

If he makes it, he will have achieved something huge. People are often far too quick to put down other folks' achievements on the internet: there's this ideal that it's outlaw country, that nothing's quite real enough to affect the world. Jason's out there, proving otherwise. He might be the first person to be building the bridge between real people and the internet, stemming from the first genuine platform that the internet gave people to speak from - blogging. There are a lot of naysayers out there that have become sick and tired of the blogging craze, and most of their claims stem from the Livejournal-esque blogs that make up 80% of the Blogosphere. For me, I've never viewed blogging as being anything but a base for me to talk about cool stuff that I like. If you don't want to partake, you don't have to (the 2,500 people that regularly pass by this blog each month certainly seem to be in that catagory). But don't be so cynical as to believe that a blog can't change something, be it a personal life, politics or the world in general.

This is the internet! Anything can happen!

So good luck Jason. I hope you succeed, because it will only make the net a more flexible place to live on.