15.3.05

Cath-tory.


"The head of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales has backed Michael Howard's stance on abortions. The Tory leader supports a reduction in the legal limit from 24 weeks to 20 and told Cosmopolitan that current rules are 'tantamount to abortion on demand'. Cardinal Cormac Murphy O'Connor commended Mr Howard's stance and questioned Catholic support for Labour. In a statement, Cardinal O'Connor, the Archbishop of Westminster, said abortion was a "very key issue", saying: 'The policy supported by Mr Howard is one that we would also commend, on the way to a full abandonment of abortion.'"

Yeh, hi, Michael Howard? I'm really not voting for you now. Getting Tony Blair down from his ivory throne is not worth the crackdown on my body.

The General Election in June is going to be ten times more depressing than the US Presidential elections last November. We have no limit on the length in office that our Prime Minister's stay. Blair has been in power for nearly 8 years, and perhaps it's only really coming clear as to why that's happened. No balanced, sane, modern opposition, besides the Liberal Democrats (who I have consistently voted for in every local election in the last two and a half years of my voting life) who aren't really much of an opposition in the first place because no one takes them seriously.

The Conservatives on the other hand favour tighter laws on drugs, gay rights, abortion and pretty much everything that I hold strong views about. I was going to vote for them because I didn't consider their manifesto to be effectual. But over the last year or so, they've consistently spoken out and proved themselves to be utter cunts. So I'm left wondering what's going to happen to my country. People want Blair out. Which means a lot of folks will be voting Howard in based on that desire and that desire alone.

If they have the backing of misogynist organisations like the Catholic church, I might as well start petititioning Canada to let me in based on asylum reasons because I'm not going to live in a country that takes control of my body in such a way. No one has the right to take this country back to the 1950's. No one. It's all down to what people think is worse - Blair or Howard?

[From BBC News]