23.6.06

Thoughts on WoW

So I've been playing a lot of World of Warcraft. In the last 2 and a half weeks, I've created a Level 17 (close to 18 now) Tauren Warrior, and I'm currently hanging out between the Crossroads/the Barrens on the Kilrogg realm. It's a fairly new server (according to chat about 2 months old), not overcrowded, and I've met someone I like to hang out with on there (Tauren Shamen from oop north) who will help me with quests should I need it.

I was quite surprised to get it going on this computer, but it's a damn good game to play with many different methods of playing within the structure. My choice method right now is to run around completing quests that involve non-stressful confrontations, discovering new places, levelling up, collecting armour, learning my trades (skinning and now herbalism) and generally having a good time on the field. But you can also jump straight into the social gaming aspect - joining guilds, grouping up to complete larger quests et al. I think this diversity is what makes it so attractive to everyone: it's not just about completing set tasks. You can do whatever the hell you want, as long as you don't break the rules.

After playing it nearly every day, I've yet to get a grasp on everything that goes on within the game. Raids are pretty spectacular to watch (being too low level to help defend the attacked location, watching is all I can do), especially when the realisation hits that you're not watching a computer attack/defend the area... those are REAL PEOPLE leading and organising the action. Blizzard have laid a thorough ground for folks to use - but the shine on the breastplate, so to speak, comes from the individuals around you, completing and planning their own paths to reaching the top. My only problem is finding time to play!