1.4.08

The Estate We're In

When I turn on the TV first thing in the morning my default channel is BBC1, so I can catch a bit of news while I do my morning routine - this week, they've been showing an excellent programme called Estate We're In about Silla Carron who, after managing to turn around her own, is now tackling another council estate, this time in Plymouth.

As an accompaniment to the series, the BBC have put up 10 ways to turn around a sink estate based on her methods. She really is brilliant, and the series exposes how difficult it is to make local councils face up to their responsibilities, how demoralised council estate tenants have become thanks to living in such squalor and how little changes (eg: doing door checks on your neighbours to test if they're letting strangers into the block of flats, having the playing areas fenced off and locked every night) can have a massive affect on the quality of life.

If you're in the UK, you can catch up with episodes on BBC iPlayer and airs at 9:15am. Unfortunately I can't find any clips on YouTube or the torrents for anyone else, sorry chaps.