14.6.08

MemeMusicTastic

Dan asked me to do this meme, and being that it's not entirely pointless, he gets his unbirthday wish. I don't talk about music enough, and not entirely sure I've done a good job, but here goes 7 music tracks I am mostly listening to at this point in 2008:

1) Tom Waits - Earth Died Screaming (starts at 1:50ish, a great fan mashup). So thanks to Scarlett Johansson's album (which is OK, her voice is really interesting, but got deleted from my hard drive recently) I realised I should probably get around to running through Waits' back catalogue. And now I'm addicted to this song, because it actually does what it says on the tin. Sounds like the death of the earth. Monsters and demons coming out of the ground, the whole she-bang.

2) Lykke Li - This Trumpet in my Head - from the album Youth Novel, which I think is out now? Regardless, I need to buy it soon. It's kind of sad and echoey and is basically this:

"I can't get that trumpet out of my head
I woke up and I can't get that trumpet out of my head
And you say you can't stand me when I'm quiet,
and so I shot you in my silence"
Just a straightforward, haunting song with depth.

3) Tan Dun - Hero Overture. Even though he repeats the refrain from the Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon soundtrack, Hero = where it's all at. The film by all means is perhaps the most perfect traditional Chinese film to be made so far - the only film to ever make me cry just based on the colours/music/landscape alone. I can't sit through it very often, because it moves me so deeply. This overture is similar to Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream soundtrack in that it's simple, wrenches at you, and is unmistakably identifiable. Even though I've heard it thousands of times by now, it never loses power.

4) Soko - I'll Kill Her. Found through Muxtape the other week. So have you ever had that one person that just sweeps in and takes everything you like for themselves and ruins everything you had planned for your future? Yeh, me too. This cracks that issue on the head. She is a filthy little mare with a funny accent, and you don't get much better than that.

5) Gnarls Barkley - Going On. I find GB to be really difficult to describe, because there's literally nothing out there that I've experienced in the same way. Poignancy, love, humour and style. They make me feel like I'm looking into the future.

6) MIA [WARNING: DO NOT CLICK IF YOU HAVE EPILEPSY OR GET MIGRAINES] - Bucky Done Gun. She is one crazy crazy lady. Didn't like her music when I first heard about her, she took a few listens and a bit reading. So it's taken me until now to listen to her first album [Arular, 2005]. Still don't think I understand what's going on. But fuck, what fun goes on in her world. She's a total female role model. I'll take a piece of that thanks.

7) Skunk Anansie - Cheap Honesty. Is anyone out there still listening to SA? I ripped all my albums recently, and Cheap Honesty was the one that got me singing along without realising. Storming, emotional, kickass music. I wish they'd kept making albums, one of the best examples of 90s Brit rock.

And there you go. Now I'm going to listen to some Goatlab Radio because that's how I get my monthly dose of different/local music.