13.10.08

Notes on HBO's True Blood



I've been enjoying HBO's True Blood, but it's a conflicted series. It stars Ryan Kwantan (famous in the UK for playing Vinnie Patterson in Home & Away) who shines in his role as a dumb penis-driven hick boy. The rest of the cast (Nelsan Ellis especially!) are equally as solid in their characters. I love the small town, historic Louisiana feel, and the fact that the story deals with a controversial subculture/alternate near future.

But HBO, the dialogue is horrible and the overall theme is very throwaway-paperback-fiction thanks to the writing. I can't stop watching at the moment, but it's eventually going to wear me thin. I have my pick of TV shows, and I could easily be spending my time elsewhere. Get better writers, and you have me until the show ends.